Mechanical Inspection checks vehicles roadworthiness for conformity to technical standards and norms as set by the ministry of interior.
Mechanical inspection of vehicles divides into three major categories :
The first or regular inspection is the regular annual check (i.e. annual for petrol engine powered vehicles or semi-annual for diesel engine powered vehicles).
- First or regular inspection.
- Additional inspection (only for diesel engine powered vehicles).
- Repeat visit (Only for vehicles that fail the first or the additional
- The additional inspection checks diesel engine powered vehicles for roadworthiness conformity six months from the first or regular visit.
- The repeat visit is a recheck of roadworthiness conformity of vehicles that failed the regular or the additional
visit. It aims at ensuring that non-conforming points have been repaired. The repeat visit must be carried out
within a month from the date of first visit of a regular or an additional inspection.
The regular visit on petrol engine powered vehicles is scheduled once a year according to a schedule table issued by the min issued by the ministry of interior, it applies to :
- Private vehicles with petrol engine and which are more than three years old.
- All other petrol powered engine vehicles (buses, mini-buses, trucks, mini-trucks) regardless of the vehicle age.
Diesel engine powered vehicles are inspected twice a year regardless of the vehicle age. The first inspection is carried out during the first six months of the year and the additional visit is scheduled six months from the first inspection according to a schedule table issued by the ministry of interior.